The Crossing Church will be participating in a corporate 21 Day Fast beginning Monday, January 11, 2016. Many people will participate by eliminating some kind of food and/or drink. Some may choose to eliminate entertainment such as television and video games or social media such as Facebook or Twitter.
Remember that fasting is an individual endeavor. We are all at different places in our walk with God, and our spirituality should never be a cause for comparison or competition. If you mess up, don’t get discouraged. Just get right back on track and keep going. God’s mercies are new every morning. He wants us to finish, and He will give us the grace & strength to do it.
We encourage everyone to also join us for the YouVersion 21 day devotional study during the fast. If this is your first time fasting, we invite you to try a 3 day or 7 day fast instead. For a 3 day fast, begin on Friday, January 29 and for a 7 day fast, begin on Monday, January 25.
Basic Tips for Fasting
- Make a personal fasting calendar that fits your convictions and level of experience with fasting. When we plan what we are going to do and how we are going to do it, we position ourselves to finish strong.
- Make an effort to disconnect from the “noise” that is a normal part of daily life. Television, newspapers, Twitter and Facebook are not bad in and of themselves, but they can be a distraction. If at all possible try to limit their use for the next few days so you can give full attention to the voice of the Holy Spirit.
- Keep your fridge and pantry stocked with the items you need. Being unprepared to fast sets you up to give into temptation.
- Set aside a time each day (the morning works best for most people) to read your Bible and devotional. Find a quiet spot where you can be alone, write down your own reflections and the things God shows you as you pray and read.
- Fasting requires reasonable precautions. If you have any health concerns, please consult your physician prior to starting your fast - especially if you are taking medication, have a chronic condition or if you are pregnant or nursing.
Fasting for Kids & Students
- Eating only fruit for sweets, (no cookies, candy)
- Munching on veggies only (no chips, etc.)
- No carbonated beverages or milk (only water)
- Playing only board games (no video games)
- Watching only educational or Christian Programs on television or movies
- Using cell phones only in a case of emergency
- Use discretion on Educational and Bible Apps that could be optional or put off until the fast.
- Spending only if it is a necessity (school supplies or warm clothing items)
- No purchases of convenience items, unnecessary snacks, entertainment items, etc.
- All other monies received are saved.
- Going to bed earlier than usual
- Sitting with moments of quiet during the day