Fear of Man
2 Tim 1:7 “God did not give us a Spirit of Fear but of power, love and a sound mind.”
Jeremiah 31:3 “I have loved you with an everlasting love, I have drawn you to myself”
Luke 12:4 “Don’t be afraid of those who can kill the body, send the soul to hell”
14 Questions About the Fear of Man
1. Have you ever struggled with peer pressure?
2. Are you over-committed? Do you find it hard to say no when wisdom indicates that you should?
3. Do you “need” something from your spouse? Do you “need” your spouse to listen to you? Respect you?
4. Is self-esteem a critical concern for you?
5. Do you ever feel as if you might be exposed as an impostor?
6. Are you always second-guessing decisions because of what other people might think? Are you afraid of making mistakes that will make you look bad in other people’s eyes?
7. Do you feel empty or meaningless? Do you experience “love hunger?”
8. Do you get easily embarrassed?
9. Do you ever lie, especially the little white lies? What about cover-ups where you are not technically lying with your mouth?
10. Are you jealous of other people?
11. Do other people often make you angry or depressed? Are they making you crazy?
12. Do you avoid people?
13. Aren’t most diets, even when they are ostensibly under the heading of “health,” dedicated to impressing others?
14. Have all these descriptions missed the mark? When you compare yourself with other people, do you feel good about yourself?
Application: Life of Elijah
No amount of achievement/”self-actualization” can insulate you – 1 Kings 18:20-40, 19:1-4
We are in need of supernatural assistance and natural substance - 1 Kings 19:5-8
We are in need of His still, small, voice – 1 Kings 19:11-12
1 John 4:18 (NIV)
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.